Many of us may be familiar with the monkeys grabbing their tailgated tree branches and jumping from tree to tree. Ring tailed lemur locomotion is also interesting. Although ring-tailed lemur is a primate, it does not have a pre-natural tail like a monkey. It jumps from branch to branch and uses its hands and feet to travel through the trees.
- Ring tailed lemurs on the floor
- The four legs and the rear legs push through the back legs and land
- Move the short distance bilaterally
- Used for tail balancing
- To balance, on the ground, the tail usually carries and usually bends over the leg
- Travel routes are visible as a sloping path to the leaf litter. 70% to 70% of their travel time is on the ground
- Traveling 500-600m in one day
How do ring tailed lemurs move?
Ring-tailed lemur locomotion gives them energy for movement. The lemurs use their hands and feet to move the nimboli through the tree, but some of their legumes cannot hold the tail like cousins. Ring-tailed lemurs also spend a lot of time on the ground, which is unusual in lemur species.
Other Recommended Reading
- Male Bornean Orangutan – Profile | Description | Facts | Behavior
- 18 Different Types of Tamarins – How Many Types of Tamarins Are There?
- Bornean Orangutan – Profile | Facts | Diet | Habitat | Endangered
- Male Sumatran Orangutan – Profile | Facts | Description | Traits
- Is There Any Best Type of Monkey for A Pet?
- Sumatran Orangutan – Profile | Facts | Habitat | Diet | Endangered
- Different Types of Primates – Definition | Evolution | Biology | List
- Coquerel’s Sifaka Lemur – Propithecus coquereli – Profile
- Golden-Crowned Sifaka – Profile | Description | Facts
- Milne-Edwards’s Sifaka – Profile | Description | Facts
- Perrier’s Sifaka – Profile | Description | Facts
- Deloys Ape – History | Profile | Findings | Explanation
- Different Types of Lemurs – Profile | Traits | Facts | Descriptions
- 7 Chimpanzee vs Gorilla Points of Great Significance
- Types of Apes in the World – Africa | Kenya | List | Monkeys
- Ape vs Gorilla – Facts | Similarities | Dissimilarities
- Are Chimps Apes – Facts | Similarities | Dissimilarities
- Are Bonobos Violent? Do Bonobos Attack Humans?
- Are Humans Apes – Facts | Similarities | Dissimilarities
- Are Gorillas Apes – Facts | Similarities | Dissimilarities
- 13 Similarities to Reveal How Monkeys Are Like Humans
Can Ring-tailed lemurs swim?
True lemurs do not swim well and rarely penetrates the water. The long screen organs make for a great jump. Most stable, the ring-tail can jump up to 3 meters vertically. It is also considered a ring-tailed lemur locomotion.