The Proboscis monkey, the scientific name Nasalis larvatus is also called the long nose monkey. It belongs to the Old World taxonomy. In Egyptian culture, they were worshiped as very unique animals and believed to be special to the gods.
Longnose if this monkey is a very distinctive feature that distinguishes it from all other species. In fact, when people first notice it, they won’t even see that it’s a monkey to watch. Men have noses that are bigger than women. It is believed that a wider nose is going to attract girls. The nose can be up to inches long.
Men with up to 20 wives can weigh up to 56 pounds, making this difference even bigger than other primates. They have a reddish-brown color and the limbs are gray. These monkeys have very large stomachs.
Borneo Island is the known location of the proboscis monkey. They live in the lower elevations of the forest and around the wetlands. They are found in Danau Centaram National Park where they are well protected from predators. They are well dispersed in their habitat.
Characteristics of proboscis monkeys.
The proboscis monkey’s warning calls are too loud. It is believed that the big nose allows the word to be bolder than another monkey. They can be in groups between 10 and 30 The Monkeys are not always in the same group. They can often go from one to the next. It is very different from other groups of different species of monkeys.
They are able to swim very well even in deep water. This allows them to move from one island to another. It also gives them a place to cool down and have some fun in the neighborhood. They have been seen walking along steep paths with forests. They do this in a single file.
Men make harem in culture. It allows men to have a number of women to socialize and mate with. They also help care for young offspring.
proboscis monkeys do not eat more than other monkeys but it does look like it. This is because of the size of their body in the abdominal region. They shoot mangroves and swallow leaves. They will consume small insects.
Information about proboscis monkeys.
Women are the ones who start having sex and can happen at any time of the year. They will do so only when they have plenty of food. Young is born about 160 days after mating. If they have a blue color at birth, they will soon turn pink.
Men must leave the group when they are about 1 year old. Women are able to hold on to their whole lives however they want. The proboscis monkey has a short life expectancy in the wild for about 13 years. They can live up to 30 years in captivity.
The number of proboscis monkeys in the wild has dropped substantially due to the extensive loss of vegetation. Today, about 5 of them remain. As a result, they are strictly protected by the Borneo government. There is a severe punishment for killing them. Nevertheless, some victims are occurring and it is hard to find the culprits for such an attempt.
Other Recommended Reading
- Golden Headed Lion Tamarin – Behavior | Conservation | Diet
- Lion Tamarin Monkey – Information | Endangered
- Cotton Top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) Monkey Facts
- Cotton Top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) Baby Facts
- Baby Emperor Tamarin Monkey Facts and Description
- Lion Tamarin – Facts | Species | Habitat | Pet | Size
- Mandrill Ape – Description | Facts | Monkey
- Mandrillus sphinx – Mandrill – Description | Facts
- Mandrill Height – How Tall is a Male and Female?
- What is Average Male and Female Mandrill Size?
- Mandrill Teeth – Why Do Mandrills Have Big Teeth?
- Are Mandrills Dangerous? When Do Mandrills Turn Aggressive?
- Drill and Mandrill – Facts | Similarities | Differences
- Zanzibar Red colobus Monkey Facts | Description
- Nigerian Monkey Description and Facts
- Roloway Monkey Facts | Habitat | Endangered
- Guenon Monkey Pet Description and Facts
- Indri Indri Primates Description and Facts
- Colobus or Mantled Guereza – Facts | Description
- Mandrill Habitat Distribution and Habitat Loss